Bobby and I will forever be grateful to Phyllis Franzoy and the LCIMC committee for calling us within weeks of the tragic accident. Phyllis told us that they wanted our permission to establish an endowment in Elisa’s name, to award an annual scholarship to a deserving mariachi student at the LCIMC.
After meeting and sharing ideas, The Elisa Gastellum Memorial Scholarship was put in place for the November 2006 conference.
- Age requirement: 18 – 25 years old
- Must be full-time or part-time student in high school, college or university
- Copy of high school or college transcripts at time of application
- Must have been accepted to an institution of higher learning or be currently enrolled and present letter of acceptance before scholarship is awarded
- Personal interview with Bobby and Terri Gastellum (To take place during the LCIMC)
- Student must submit an essay on “How Mariachi Music has influenced them”
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers or people in the community such as clergy, club organization personnel, youth ministry, etc.
- Must demonstrate a high level of proficiency as a vocalist (i.e. musicianship, style and showmanship)
- Must have been selected as a soloist for the student showcase at the LCIMC
How to Apply
In addition to the above, a panel of professional musicians evaluate each student’s performance as a soloist at the LCIMC Student Showcase.
Scores are tabulated and a winner is selected based on their overall score which includes their interview, grades, essay and performance.
LCIMC Scholarship Recipients:
*It was a wonderful blessing in November 2010, when an anonymous donor gave our foundation a check to award the other 3 contestants a college scholarship! The couple was so impressed with the performances of each soloist that they felt inspired to give this donation.
The following students received a $1000 scholarship in 2010:
- Anthony Romero, from Tucson, AZ
- Bianca Herrera, from Santa Ana, CA
- Nathan Garcia, from Odessa, TX